By DIANE VALDEN
HUDSON—Hudson Police thought they had a possible attempted child kidnapping on their hands, but further investigation determined it was all a misunderstanding.
Hudson Police Department (HPD) received a call Thursday, November 16 around noon about a reported possible kidnapping attempt of a 10-year-old boy.
The boy was walking down Harry Howard Avenue in the area of the Crosswinds Apartments when he was approached by a white van driven by white male, reported to be in his 30s, who spoke Spanish. The van stopped near the child and the driver reportedly told the child to get in the van.
Instead, the boy ran to his 13-year-old sister for safety. The sister witnessed the van stop but was too far away to hear what the driver said. Police circulated a photo of the suspect’s van they obtained through video surveillance in the area.
Following a thorough and intensive investigation, HPD subsequently determined that the reported incident was not an attempted child kidnapping.
Collaborative efforts by Hudson Police, State Police, the State Bridge Authority, Columbia County Sheriff’s Office and the Hudson City School District were instrumental in resolving this matter, according to a press release.
Upon locating the vehicle and driver later the same day, it came to light that a language barrier led to a misinterpretation of the events. The driver saw the boy unknowingly drop a jacket on the walking/bicycle path. In an attempt to inform the boy, the driver stopped and made a hand gesture pointing to the rear of the vehicle. The driver had a strong accent, and the child thought the driver was instructing him to “get into the back” of the van, the release said.
Hudson Police Commissioner Shane Bower expressed pride in the collaborative efforts of all involved agencies, stating in the release, “I am proud of the work from the members of our Police Department and all the additional agencies that assisted in this investigation. No crimes were committed, and we are now able to close this case.”
“I want to commend the quick and decisive actions taken by the children involved. The ability to react appropriately in a potentially dangerous situation is commendable. Moreover, I am beyond proud of the hard work and dedication exhibited by our Officers throughout the course of this investigation to keep our community safe and informed,” HPD Chief Mishanda Franklin said in the release.
The Hudson Police Department remains committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of the community, and appreciates the support and cooperation of the public throughout this investigation.
Lifesaving tips offered for busiest home fire day
GHENT—As New Yorkers get ready to celebrate Thanksgiving with loved ones, the Firefighter’s Association of the State of New York (FASNY) urges all to have a safe and happy holiday. This year, New York currently leads the nation in home fire deaths, with a total of 123 fatalities so far this year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. FASNY wants to remind all New Yorkers of certain situations to be cautious of and some essential safety tips to ensure your holiday is memorable for the right reasons.
According to the NFPA, Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires with more than three times the daily average for such incidents. Unattended cooking is by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths, and with family gathering in one home for the shared holiday, it can create extra distraction from the kitchen.
“We want all New Yorkers to enjoy their Thanksgiving with loved ones in the safety and comfort of their homes. FASNY asks that all New Yorkers follow the steps and advice to ensure all family, friends, and Thanksgiving turkeys are kept safe this holiday season,” FASNY President Edward Tase, Jr., said in a press release.
Below are the most common factors in home cooking fires and ways to avoid them:
●Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen: stay in the kitchen while you are cooking food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short time, turn off the stove. If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly. Remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking, as guests, phones, children, pets and other activities can easily distract a cook
●Objects near the cooking catching fire: clothing ignitions are common in home cooking fire deaths. It is important to wear short, close-fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves as loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners or gas flames and catch fire. Keep the cooking area clean, and combustible materials away from your stovetop. Built-up grease, as well as oven mitts, food packaging, wooden utensils, towels, curtains and other materials on or near the stove, can catch fire
●Cooking equipment unintentionally turned on or not turned off: be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop. Check the stove regularly during holidays with many others in the house to ensure kids have not turned the stove on
●Hot cooking oil exposed to water or outdoor elements: if rain or snow strikes hot cooking oil in propane-fired turkey fryers designed for outdoor use, the result can be a splattering of the hot oil or a conversion of the precipitation to steam, which can lead to burns. Frozen and defrosting turkeys also create the risk of contact between water and hot cooking oil, which can cause severe scalding or other serious injury.
Here are some of FASNY’s tips to keep you and your loved ones safe this time of year. In the case of a fire:
●Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire
●Call 911 or the local emergency number after you leave
●For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
If a grease fire does occur, do not use water to put it out. Use an appropriate fire extinguisher, or baking soda, salt, or a tight lid. Keep the lid nearby when you’re cooking, to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan, and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled. Always keep a box of baking soda near the stove.
For more information visit www.fasny.com.