All Star Roofing Summer 2023

Police nab alleged Hudson purse snatcher


HUDSON—A Hudson man is in the Columbia County Jail without bail after he allegedly swiped an elderly woman’s purse.

Hudson Police went to the area of 362 Warren Street to investigate a report that an elderly woman was lying on the ground saying someone had just stolen her purse, October 21 at 9:05 p.m.

The victim was an 86-year-old-woman from out-of-town, who apparently fell to the ground when her purse was grabbed.

Police began to canvass of the area and were led to the 400 block of Warren Street. Within an hour and a half, while knocking on doors, officers came across the suspected mugger holding the woman’s purse. Identified as, Galen Lange, 26, of Hudson, he was charged with two counts of fourth degree grand larceny.

Arraigned before City Judge John Connors, Mr. Lange was sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail. The victim was not injured and all of her property was returned to her.

“Hudson Police Officers, working with an extremely limited description and no independent witnesses, used their knowledge of the neighborhoods to locate the perpetrator. I commend them on their street smarts. It cannot be concluded at this time that this mugging is related to several others that have occurred this summer, but HPD officers are working very aggressively to make arrests in these pending cases,” Hudson Police Chief Ed Moore said in a press release.


A Claverack man allegedly threatened a gas station attendant with a handgun. State Police from Livingston arrested Adam M. Kitsock, 23, of Claverack for second degree menacing, a class A misdemeanor and second degree criminal possession of a weapon, a class C felony, October 21 at 12:48 a.m.

State Police were called to investigate a reported argument at the Sunoco gas station at the intersection of Route 66 and 9H in Claverack. During the argument between the gas station attendant and Mr. Kitsock, a customer, he allegedly brandished a .22 caliber pistol and menaced the clerk with it.

After an extensive investigation, Mr. Kitsock was taken into custody at his residence. Police were able to identify Mr. Kitsock after viewing video surveillance captured by the gas station security system. Mr. Kitsock also allegedly called the gas station several times from the same phone number, which was traced back to him.

He was arraigned in Claverack Court and sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $2,500 cash bail.

Clermont crash closes road

A crash on Route 9G at the Firehouse Road intersection in Clermont closed the busy state highway for more than four hours Monday, October 21. A produce truck and a car collided at 11:12 a.m. The operator of the car was trapped until firefighters freed him with the Jaws of Life. He was taken to the Albany Medical Center by LifeNet helicopter. State Police from Livingston are investigating. Clermont, Germantown and Tivoli firefighters were on the scene along with Northern Dutchess Paramedics. Units were still on the scene as of 2 p.m.


A driver, who police say was drunk, crashed his pickup truck into a house, October 19 at 2:25 a.m.

Columbia County 911 called State Police from New Lebanon to Railroad Avenue in the village to investigate the accident.

When troopers arrived, they saw the driver of the vehicle attempt to flee the scene. He was apprehended after a short foot pursuit and identified as Louis VanAlstyne, Jr., 46, of Chatham.

He was not hurt and refused medical attention from Chatham firefighters and rescue squad personnel on the scene.

The residence was unoccupied at the time of the accident. Mr. VanAlstyne was charged with driving while intoxicated, refusal to take breath test, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, speed not reasonable and prudent, failure to keep right and multiple other vehicle and traffic law violations.

He was arraigned in Ghent Court before Justice David Harrison, Sr., and was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or $10,000 bond. He was slated to appear in Chatham Village Court at a later date.


Bradley Briggs, 22, of Kinderhook was charged with first degree criminal contempt, a class E felony, third degree assault, a class A misdemeanor, and fourth degree criminal mischief, a class A misdemeanor, by State Police from Kinderhook, September 21.

The arrest stems from an incident in which Mr. Briggs allegedly violated an order of protection issued in Kinderhook Court, September 9. He allegedly entered a woman’s home and while inside physically assaulted her and damaged her property.

Mr. Briggs was arraigned in Kinderhook Town Court before Justice David Dellahunt and was committed to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $1,000 cash bail.

*State Police served a criminal summons to Henry Schwartz, 52, of Niverville for trespass, a violation, September 13 at 4 p.m.

Troopers investigated a complaint alleging that Mr. Schwartz remained on someone’s property unlawfully.

He was ordered to appear in Kinderhook Court at a later date.


James G. Murray, 69, of Coxsackie was charged with one count of second degree criminal contempt, a class A misdemeanor, and one count of endangering the welfare of a child, a class A misdemeanor, by State Police, October 9.

State Police assisted by the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office it was determined by investigation that Mr. Murray allegedly violated a court order of protection.

He was arraigned in Livingston Court before Justice Robert Moore and was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail.

Anyone with information related to this case or Mr. Murray should contact SP Livingston BCI at 518 851-2001.


Karl Hinkle, 56, of Catskill was charged with petit larceny, a class A misdemeanor and third degree criminal trespass, a class B misdemeanor, October 9 at 6:19 p.m.

At 1:32 p.m., State Police from Livingston received a trespass complaint from an Ancram resident, who reported that in September, she had fired a Catskill man who had been working on her property.

Since being fired, Mr. Hinkle allegedly returned to her house and removed her property, despite being told several times in the past that he is not permitted to be there. Mr. Hinkle was issued appearance tickets ordering him to appear in Ancram Court at a later date.


Related Posts