Columbia Memorial Health (1) Careers

Three accused after city home invasion


HUDSON—Three men were charged following a home invasion at 109 Fairview Avenue, January 10 at 11:58 p.m.

Hudson Police were called to a fight in a second floor apartment at the Fairview Avenue address. They arrived to find people who attempted to flee upon seeing them. Officers chased one of the subjects and apprehended him a short time later. State troopers, who were in the area, heard the call, assisted and were able to detain a second subject involved. A third subject was detained inside the apartment by Hudson Police.

An investigation revealed that two subjects entered the occupied residence without permission, damaged property, assaulted a man and stole cash, while the third subject drove them there and waited in the get-away vehicle to drive them away.

The 38-year-old male victim, who lived in the apartment, suffered serious physical injury, including cuts bruises to his head, face and body. He was taken to Columbia Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Charged were: Bradley S. Torchia, 29, of Worth Avenue, Hudson for first degree burglary, conspiracy, petit larceny and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle; Clifford Robinson, 38, of Green Street, Hudson, currently on parole in New York State, for first degree burglary, second degree assault, criminal mischief, conspiracy, petit larceny and resisting arrest; Billy Ray Robinson, 35, of Dolly Drive, Stuyvesant for first degree burglary, second degree assault, third and fifth degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, conspiracy, criminal mischief and petit larceny.

Police say their rapid response resulted in the arrests and was instrumental in preventing further injury to the victim.

All three subjects were arraigned in Hudson City Court before Judge John Connor and were sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail pending future court proceedings. The investigation is continuing.

During the foot pursuit and apprehension of one of the subjects, a Hudson police officer sustained cuts to his hands and was taken to the hospital after he assisted in securing the suspects and the scene. He was treated and later released and continued to assist in the investigation.

Hudson Police detectives responded to assist with processing the scene for evidence and investigating the incident.

Also assisting were the Columbia County District Attorney’s Office and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office.

Anyone with information regarding this or any crime, should contact Hudson Police at 518 828-3388 or the detective unit and tips line at 518 828-9900.

Crash occurred after driver stricken

Senior Investigator Don Bailey said a State Police investigation indicates that Daniel Friebe, 49, of Philmont died due to a medical condition prior to a car crash on the Taconic State Parkway, three-quarters of a mile south of Route 203 in Austerlitz, January 14 at 4:50 p.m. Mr. Friebe was driving south when he was stricken while behind the wheel. His car went off the road into the median, down a ravine and into a wooded area. The results of an autopsy performed at St. Peter’s Hospital are still pending. Austerlitz firefighters, the Chatham Rescue Squad and Coroner Roberta Davis were on the scene.

Accidental fire guts church

Philmont firefighters with mutual aid from companies around the county were called to the historic Second Reformed Church of Claverack, 6 Church Street, Philmont, where a blaze broke out around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, January 14. Firefighters were able to contain the fire and prevent its spread to other structures. In an article about Philmont history, which appears at, Charles Nichols wrote that the Second Reformed Church was formed by the merger of the Mellenville and Philmont reformed churches in 1969. The chapel was built in 1879 and enlarged in 1892. The church was the spiritual home to more than 50 people. County Fire Coordinators, the County Cause and Origin Team, the State Office of Fire Prevention and Control and State Police assisted the Philmont Fire Department in an investigation that revealed the cause of the fire is accidental. Pastor Dan Herrick said the two other churches have offered their sanctuaries for worship and services will take place on Sunday.


Related Posts