GNH Lumber Outdoor Living

State Police charge Guatemalan man in Stuyvesant rape


STUYVESANT—Manuel DeJesus Mauricio Ramirez, 29, of Guatemala was charged August 24 with first degree rape, a class B felony; first degree aggravated sex abuse, a class B felony; second degree unlawful imprisonment and third degree assault, both class A misdemeanors.
According to Livingston State Police Investigator William Mulrein III, a woman went out for a walk on Eichybush Road late the night of Saturday, August 22, as was her custom.
Sometime after midnight Sunday, August 23 in a desolate area, a man, who the woman did not know, approached her. He assaulted her and held her against her will for an hour and a half. During that time, the man sexually abused and raped her. The entire attack took place in the road, the investigator said.
When a motorist happened upon the scene, the woman was able to escape and call for help. The attacker fled.
Through their investigation, State Police identified the suspect as Mr. Ramirez, who Inv. Mulrein described as a migrant worker who was at a nearby horse farm that evening. Mr. Ramirez worked at the horse farm previously, but it is not clear whether he still worked there or was employed anywhere.
State Police are working in cooperation with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents to determine if Mr. Ramirez is in the U.S. legally, said the investigator.
With assistance from White Plains Police and the Westchester County Department of Public Safety, Mr. Ramirez was found as he was attempting to return to Guatamala.
Authorities brought Mr. Ramirez, who went with them voluntarily, to the Livingston barracks, where he was charged early Monday, August 24.
Arraigned in Livingston Court before Justice Robert Q. Moore, Mr. Ramirez was sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail.
State Police ask anyone with information about the crime to call them at (518) 851-2893.
Churchtown Assistant Fire Chief Vincent Scionti was charged with driving while intoxicated and having a blood alcohol level greater than .08% (.10%) following an incident related to the severe thunderstorm of August 21.
Troopers Eric Buchinsky and Jesse Cort were called to Route 23 near the Route 217 intersection to help the Claverack fire chief deal with “an unruly subject” trying to gain access to a closed road during the State of Emergency, August 22 at 1:20 a.m.
Troopers were able to calm the “unruly” person down, but while they were there they encountered Assistant Chief Scionti, who police say, was using his personal vehicle with its emergency lights activated to escort tractor trailers along Route 23 through a section of road that was closed due to large trees and power lines down across the road.
When they interviewed Mr. Scionti, they say they detected a “strong odor of an alcoholic beverage” on his breath, “glassy eyes and impaired speech.”  
Mr. Scionti failed field sobriety tests and was subsequently charged and issued tickets to appear in Claverack Court September 1.
Gary C. Montana, 58, of Greenport was charged with fourth degree stalking by Deputies Marcus Hickey and Travis VanAlstyne, August 12 at 10:56 a.m.
Mr. Montana allegedly followed a woman in Greenport over a period of time.
Mr. Montana was arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Francis Abitabile, released on his own recognizance and ordered to return to court at a later date.
*Wayne Rowe, 56, of Amsterdam was charged on an arrest warrant for second degree promoting prison contraband by Deputy Travis VanAlstyne and Sergeant Michael Merante, August 17 at 8:37 p.m.
Deputies found Mr. Rowe to allegedly be in possession of marijuana when he was brought into the Columbia County Jail July 19.
Arraigned in Greenport Court before Justice Robert Brenzel, Mr. Rowe was sent to the county jail in lieu of $500 cash bail or bail bond. He was ordered to return to town court at a later date.
To contact Diane Valden email

Related Posts