Old Klaverack Gift Cards

Taxi-cab robbery suspect nabbed in Brooklyn


CLAVERACK–The Philmont teenager wanted for the knifepoint robbery of a cabbie was arrested by New York City Police in Brooklyn on an unrelated matter and turned over to the State Police Violent Felony Warrant Squad April 26.

Nicholas M. Beauchamp, 17, of Philmont was charged with one count of second degree robbery April 27.

State Police from Livingston responded to a 911 call about a reported armed robbery in Claverack, April 19 at 11:20 p.m.

State Police Investigator Eric Barnes told newsman Lance Wheeler that the suspect was a customer in the taxi and was getting a ride from Philmont to Hudson when he allegedly pulled a 12-inch knife on the driver along Route 217.

The driver, whose name was not released by police, immediately called for help after Nicholas allegedly left her on the side of the road and drove off with her belongings and the cab she was driving, which belongs to Pronto Taxi.

Police characterized the teen as “a violent felon.”

On April 24, Claverack Justice Michael Brandon issued an arrest warrant for the teen. He was arraigned in Claverack Court April 27 and sent to the Columbia County Jail without bail.



One person was hurt when a small aircraft crashed at Kline Kill Airport, April 30 at 5:31 p.m., according to Columbia County Sheriff David Harrison, Jr.

A 2011 Arion Lightning LS-1 with a two-person capacity and described on the www.flylightning.net website as “the new standard for low wing light sport aircraft” crashed while attempting to take off from the airport.

The pilot, Mark T. Daniels, 70, of Newton, NJ, was not hurt, but the Chatham Rescue Squad took his passenger, Richard Aaron, 73, of Sussex, NJ, to Columbia Memorial Hospital for treatment of right shoulder pain.

The aircraft, which comes in a kit or already assembled “was designed to be tough and strong while maintaining stable and responsive flight characteristics.” Manufactured in Wisconsin and Tennessee, “both kits and Light Sport aircraft passed rigorous testing programs with generous margins of safety,” says the website.

The investigation is continuing and the Sheriff’s Office secured the scene until Sheriff’s investigators, the National Traffic Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration continued the investigation the following day.

The Ghent Fire Company went to the scene and the state Department of Environmental Conservation was contacted due to a small fuel leak from the plane.

The sheriff, Captain David Bartlett, Deputies Scott Leggett, Travis VanAlstyne, Marcus Hickey and William Dunspaugh and Investigator Mark Dunspaugh were on the scene.



Christopher Arsenault, 24, of Hudson and Derek Hunt, 29, of Germantown were both charged with third degree assault by State Police at Livingston, February 18 at 1 p.m. Troopers were called to investigate a disturbance at a Route 9 address. They determined that the two men were involved in a fight that had taken place earlier. Both men were arraigned in Livingston Court. Mr. Arsenault was released and Mr. Hunt was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail or bond. Both were to reappear at a later date.


Related Posts