By Melanie Lekocevic
Capital Region Independent Media
RAVENA — Like a hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day? Who doesn’t?
Soup lovers will have the chance to sample some of the best soups around during the first-ever Soups for Seniors contest and fundraiser this Saturday.
Senior Projects of Ravena is hosting the tasty competition on Saturday, Feb. 11, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at its facility at 9 Bruno Boulevard in the village.
The event is a collaboration between Senior Projects and the village of Ravena.
“Soups for Seniors is a fundraiser to help the senior center raise money to meet their growing needs, while promoting community engagement,” Village Trustee Caitlin Appleby said. “I thought it would be nice to have some small winter event to bring us all together, and what better time to do that than during soup season!”
Appleby brought the idea to the staff at Senior Projects and they loved it, she said.
“When I brought the idea to Terri Albano, Lakken Kovacik and Darlene Mergendahl at the center, they jumped at the chance to give the community something fun to do,” Appleby said. “I am very thankful for all that they do and for their partnership in this event.”
Seventeen soups, all made by local residents and businesses, will be on the menu.
The cost of admission is $5, for the chance to try all of the varieties. Each guest will also get five tickets to vote for their favorites.
“Spread your tickets around or dump all five into one person’s pot!” according to a statement from the village. “Either way, the winner is going home with $200 and serious bragging rights.”
The following businesses and residents will be participating in the competition, with all funds raised from admission fees going to Senior Projects of Ravena.
- Halfway House – Seafood chowder
- Trackside – Clam chowder
- Smokin’ Pig Deli & Bakery – Cheddar ale
- Hope Full Life – Ham and potato soup
- M&R Snacks – Cabbage soup
- Jessica Whipple – Corn chowder
- Yvonne Shackleton – Coconut curry lentil
- Miguel Colon – Chicken soup
- Hayden Hyslop – Zuppa soup
- Tracy Douglas – Knoephla soup
- Elizabeth Arnold – Stuffed pepper soup
- Caitlin Brooks – Lasagna soup
- Amber Brooks – Cheddar broccoli soup
- Tiffany Moreno – Chicken pizzaioli
- Mark Rosenzweig – Italian wedding soup
- Shelly Fitch – Corn chowder
- Deana Ferrusi – Escarole and beans
“It’s $5 to come in and you can sample as much soup as you want, and then you get to vote for your favorite,” Appleby said at the January meeting of the village board. “It’s for a really, really good cause.”
The Soups for Seniors contest and fundraiser will be on Saturday, Feb. 11, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Senior Projects of Ravena, located at 9 Bruno Boulevard in the village.