ALBANY — The PBA of New York State announced the members of its board of directors and executive committee for the next three years.
The union represents nearly 1,200 state law enforcement officers from four member units including the New York
State Park Police, New York State University Police, Department of Environmental Conservation Officers and New
York State Forest Rangers.
For the past several years, the union has fought to secure fair compensation for its members including the standard
20-year retirement, which 97% of police in New York state already receive. In doing so, the union aims to retain and
attract diverse officers to better represent the communities they serve.
Since late 2019, the union has also focused on preserving New York state’s oldest state law enforcement agency,
the New York State Park Police, which former Gov. Andrew Cuomo sought to eliminate by first transferring operational control to the Division of State Police with eventual full integration and disbandment, according to the organization.
The executive board for the board of directors will consist of:
- Manuel Vilar from Metro Long Island – President and Park Police Sergeants Director.
- Aaron Gordon from the Department of Environmental Conservation Academy – Vice President/Chief Administrative Officer and EnCon Police Superior Officers Director.
- Nancy Ganswindt from DEC Region 5 (Adirondacks) – Vice President/Chief Communications Officer and Forest Rangers Lieutenants Director.
- William Ricci from SUNY Purchase – Vice President/Chief Financial Officer and University Police Officers/Investigators Associate Director.
- Troy Caupain from Metro Long Island – Secretary and Park Police Officers Director.
- James McCartney from SUNY Morrisville – Treasurer and University Police Lieutenants Director.
Additional members of the board of directors include:
- Jason DeAngelis from DEC Region 4 (Capital Region) – EnCon Police Lieutenants Director.
- Matt Krug from DEC Region 5 (Adirondacks) – Encon Police Officers Director.
- Adam Pickett DEC Region 4 (Capital Region) – Forest Rangers Superior Officers Director.
- Arthur Perryman DEC Region 5 (Adirondacks) – Forest Rangers Director.
- James Hy from Western NY Genesee Zone – Park Police Superior Officers Director.
- Christopher Lacosse from SUNY Albany – University Police Officers/Investigators Director
Manuel Vilar, PBA president and Park Police sergeants director, said, “We are blessed to have a board of directors that encompasses a range of experience from founders of the PBA to newer officers that bring a fresh perspective. To
flourish as an organization, it is critical that we not only leverage the various and diverse experiences of our members but
also seek to expand upon them.”
“There are a number of challenges facing law enforcement not only as a profession but as a vital component of the communities we serve and live in,” Vilar added. “To this end the PBA of New York State will always strive for the highest standards of
professionalism to promote strength and safety in these communities while simultaneously promoting the interests of our
members. PBANYS officers share the same concerns as their friends, family and neighbors. They want to contribute
to the communities they serve and provide a better future for their families. To attract and retain the best, brightest
and most capable we must ensure that the compensation our members receive is commensurate with the sacrifices they
make daily to protect us all.”