Old Klaverack Gift Cards

Suspect in custody for Clermont murder


CLERMONT—Sheriff’s patrols have arrested a Red Hook man in connection with the stabbing death of a Clermont resident.

Columbia County 911 dispatched deputies to 120 Pleasant Vale Road for a man outside the residence with stab wounds, Sunday, November 3 at 1:32 a.m., according to a press release from Columbia County Sheriff David P. Bartlett.

When deputies arrived at the residence they found two men in the front yard. One man was lying on his back and appeared to be injured and the other man was kneeling over him.

Deputies quickly detained the uninjured man and immediately rendered First Aid to the injured party. Northern Dutchess Paramedics arrived on the scene and continued with emergency medical aid to the victim.

The victim, identified as Glenn Unson, 43, of Clermont was suffering from knife wounds to his chest and abdominal area. As lifesaving efforts continued, Mr. Unson went into cardiac arrest and died.

Sheriff’s Office investigators responded to the scene and continued with the investigation.

They determined that Mr. Unson was stabbed at a different location—in the area of State Route 9 at the intersection of Pleasant Vale Road. He was then driven to the 120 Pleasant Vale Road address. The investigation also revealed that the person detained by the Sheriff’s Office, Robert Streib, 36, of Red Hook was the person allegedly responsible for stabbing Mr. Unson, according to the sheriff. Mr. Unson and the Mr. Streib were together in a vehicle when an altercation occurred and Mr. Unson was stabbed.

The State Police Forensic Investigative Unit, along with uniformed troopers, were called in to assist with the two crime scenes. Columbia County District Attorney Paul Czajka responded to scene and his office is assisting with the investigation. Columbia County Coroner Bernadette Powis also assisted at the scene.

Mr. Streib was charged with second degree murder, a class A-1 felony, at 12:57 p.m. He was arraigned in Clermont Court Sunday afternoon.

“At no time was there a danger to the community and the investigation has shown that this was not a random act since both parties were known to each other,” the sheriff said in the release.

District Attorney Czajka arrived on the scene soon after the deputies and the sheriff. “I commend the Sheriff and Senior Investigator [Kevin] Skype for their prompt response and for seeking assistance from the NYSP FIU,” the DA said in the release.

Related Posts