Columbia Memorial Health (1) Careers

Several hurt in chain-reaction crash


GHENT—Two people were airlifted to Albany Medical Center following a four-vehicle crash on Route 66, Saturday, October 3 at 3:48 p.m.
Three vehicles were stopped in the southbound lane of traffic. The first vehicle in line was a 1969 Chevrolet pickup truck driven by Herbert Carr, 55, of Columbiaville, who was waiting for northbound traffic to clear so he could make a left turn into the Brook Cove Marina, Columbia County Sheriff David W. Harrison, Jr. reported in a press release.
A fourth vehicle, a 1999 Chevrolet flatbed tow truck, operated by Adam Moon, 19, of Ghent, who was also southbound, failed to stop for the stopped vehicles.
The tow truck crashed into the rear of a 2004 Nissan Maxima driven by Alicia Mitchell, 34, of Hudson. The Mitchell vehicle was pushed into the rear of a 1992 Buick Road Master driven by Peggy Alt, 56, of Philmont, which was pushed forward into the rear of Mr. Carr’s pickup truck.
Passengers in Ms. Mitchell’s car, Agnes Brown, 65, of Catskill, who was in the front seat, and Francis Heath, 66, of Catskill, a back seat passenger, were both airlifted to the Albany Medical Center with serious injuries.
The Greenport Rescue Squad took Ms. Mitchell with possible internal injuries to Columbia Memorial Hospital. The Valatie Rescue Squad took another back seat passenger in the Mitchell vehicle, Gloria Ford, 69, of Catskill to AMC for treatment of back and neck injuries.
Ms. Alt, who was alone in her vehicle, was taken by ambulance to CMH, where she was treated and released.
An ambulance took Mr. Carr and his passenger Vernea Dennis, 39, of Hudson to CMH. Mr. Carr complained of back and neck pain and Ms. Dennis had a shoulder and arm injury.
All occupants in the front seats of the vehicles were wearing seat belts.
Deputy David Rose investigated the accident.
Also on the scene were Captain David P. Bartlett, Deputies Heath Benansky, Wendy Guntert and Brendan Filli with the Sheriff’s Incident Scene Investigation Unit and Sheriff’s Investigator John Rivero. State Police and Chatham Village Police assisted.
Ghent and Chatham firefighters; Chatham, Greenport and Valatie rescue squads were also on the scene.
Sheriff Harrison said the investigation is continuing and charges are pending.


Related Posts