Coxsackie construction project halted

0
Share

By Melanie Lekocevic

Capital Region Independent Media

Construction on The Newbury Hotel project in downtown Coxsackie was halted March 27. Melanie Lekocevic/Capital Region Independent Media

COXSACKIE — A stop-work order has been issued by the village of Coxsackie on the hotel and event center construction project on South River Street.

The village board released a statement Sunday indicating that the building permit issued by the village last year has expired and there are components of the project that “are not in compliance with the village code and/or the planning board approved site plan,” according to the statement.

The height of the hotel building does not conform with the original site plan, according to the statement.

“In consultation with our village attorney and compliance with the law, the code enforcement officer has issued a stop-work order,” according to the statement. “A stop work order means no work can be done until a new building permit is applied for and issued.”

The multi-million-dollar project includes construction of a boutique hotel called The Newbury and an event center dubbed The Wire, the site of a former electronics building.

An artist’s rendering of the planned luxury Newbury Hotel, which is being built on South River Street in Coxsackie. A stop-work order was announced Sunday halting the project. File photo

An updated site plan will need to be submitted to the planning board for the project to move forward, which will include addressing aspects of the project that are not in compliance with village code, according to the village board’s statement.

Developer Aaron Flach said he would work with the village moving forward.

“While we believe the village Building Department was provided everything required of the project, we will be working with the Village Board and others to ensure full compliance,” Flach said. “We have completed many successful restoration and building projects in the area and will continue to make the community proud.”

Flach pointed to the economic benefits of the project.

“We look forward to bringing this redevelopment of formerly empty buildings to completion with its associated 50+ construction jobs, 38+ full-time jobs and its expanded opportunities for families to enjoy dining, events and overnight accommodations at our stunning waterfront location.”

The issue will go back to the planning board before a new building permit is issued and the stop-work order is lifted, according to the village board.

Related Posts